Monday, July 30, 2007

AN ADVENTURE IN PARENTING

For those who know and those who don't, Jim and I have signed on to occasionally take care of a teen at our church. He's a great kid and has lots of energy - for two old 30 somethings who realized they don't have as much energy anymore. We had him for a week and it went REALLY WELL overall. I think I was pretty suprised by that fact! I mean, we had to deal with the typical teen multiple wake-up calls (but heck, I can hardly get Jim outta bed in the mornings), to having to share my time on the internet, worrying he'd monopolize the phone (which he didn't), and finecky eating. I even took him to get his hair dyed close to platinum blonde as you see here. Really though - it was....actually...FUN.

Again though, I did recognize that Jim's going to be the more laid-back parent and I'm going to be neurotic mess - but perhaps that's just us. I was impressed that both of us really worked together at setting limits and enforcing them. Perhaps, when we have a child of our own someday - we won't completely screw it up!

1 comment:

Appalachian Feminist Breeder said...

Kudos to you both for doing such a brave and awesome thing!